Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Trim Up Tuesday - Week One

It's time for me to get serious here. I can no longer use quitting smoking as an excuse for gaining weight. Since quitting, I've gained 15 freaking pounds on top of what I already need to loose. I don't consider myself grossly overweight, but I don't consider myself as being at an average weight. I'm scared though. I've never tried to lose weight as a nonsmoker before so this could prove to be the most difficult thing I've ever done.

I'm going to set small goals for myself that will lead me up to the final result. First up? Losing that 15 pounds that I put on since quitting smoking.

Time logged in to the gym over the past week: 3 hours, 30 minutes

Pounds lost since last Tuesday: 0

Pounds gained since last Tuesday: 0

Total pounds lost: 0

0? *Screams* Are you kidding me? Is this someone's idea of a bad joke? Please tell me that the scale not moving has something to do with building muscle because this is sad. I've sweat my butt off and nearly killed myself at the gym over the past week and have been trying to eat healthier.

Guess this just means I'm going to need to buckle down and get serious. Trial week is over!

7 comments:

Author said...

You'll get there! I think we should use a weekly weight average anyways, since weight itself fluctuates from day to day. And you could very well be building muscle instead of losing weight at the start.

I agree with you, it should be "Trim Up Tuesday." Thanks for the outline you gave here, it gives me something to go on. I'm hoping to make something really neat, but I don't know what limitations blogger has. If not, it will be a simple template!

Author said...

Oh yeah ... I'll be needing one or two people to help test this out when I'm done, I don't suppose you'd help me out and be one of them?

maggie said...

Yah, I'm at a loss here. Let me rephrase that. I haven't lost, and I don't get it. Whether I eat healthier or not, walk or not, I keep trading the same couple of pounds back and forth. For now, I'm still just hoping that continuing to add more veggies will help. I was sure that Tom being gone would help, and I am eating differently, but I'm assuming my body just hasn't gotten caught up or something...

Good luck to you!

MamaFlo said...

Stop Concentrating on how much you've gained and lost and more about feeling better.
Eat less, exercise more, absolutely the key to loosing those extra pounds and adding to a healthier lifestyle. It's going to take a little while to start seeing the loss but it's going to happen and you're going to be thrilled with the results.
I know you can do this cause you were able to quit smoking.
She's a Woman, Watch Her Roar!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you stick with it, the scale will show it. You're doing great, keep it up. And yes, you could have some swelling of the muscles temporarily but that will go away and you will have a nice loss of weight. You go girl!!!

lynda w said...

I read somewhere that your metabolism slows down when you quit smoking, but then it speeds back up after awhile. Hopefully mine is back on the rise SOON.

While my main goal is to lose weight, I also have other goals, like building my stamina and agility up at the gym. Those classes are brutal, but after awhile it does get easier.

Overall I want to be a healthier version of me.

maggie said...

I hadn't read about the metabolism speeding back up, but I'd welcome that in a heartbeat. Mine is definitely not what it was as a smoker or what it was 10 years ago. That's OK, though. Like you said, I'm aiming for healthy overall. That's what really matters.