Friday, September 08, 2006

In The Dog House

. . . And probably not getting out anytime soon! I attempted to mow the lawn today for my husband. You know, to surprise him. So he could relax and spend time with the kids when he gets home. Well, let me tell you. He's definately in for a surprise. I scalped the grass and killed the lawn mower. I don't think he'll ever suggest that I mow the lawn again after today. For the life of me, I simply cannot figure out why it cut so low. I kept checking it and the mower was definately set at the highest setting. But after taking a closer look, I discovered that the little black plastic thing at the back of the mower that keeps things from spitting out at you is stuck under the blade. How in the world did that happen? Is that bad? I'm thinking it can't be good. Uh oh.

The Evidence . . .

Exhibit A: The scalped park strip. I should have stopped there.
(Yes, the sprinkler is my last ditch effort to save the grass.)


Exhibit B: The side yard. I told you I should have quit before it got worse.

Exhibit C: The broken down lawn mower. Stupid thing! (It had nothing to do with the person operating it, of course!)

Exhibit D: The front yard. Actually if you don't look at the edges that I scalped, it's not too bad.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Update...

After a call into Bret and a not so happy trip home for lunch, Bret got the mower fixed. Somehow I had managed to get the black plastic flap stuck under the blade of the mower. (Never said I was a genius...ha!) Then he asks me if I want him to show me how to use the weed wacker/trimmer thing before he leaves. Um, what do you think?! I think absolutely not. I prefer to keep my limbs. The whole front and back yard are mowed and nothing else got scalped. (I did however run out of gas, which baffled me, resulting in a few swift kicks to the mower before I realized it was probably out of gas.) (Remember? Not a genius?) It's done, I'm dirty and exhausted and never doing it again. Bret's birthday is in a week and a half. I'm thinking that maybe this is his present. A week off of mowing. If he ever decides that he wants a riding mower, I'll never scoff at the idea again. This whole brainy idea of mine was an excuse not to go to Body Pump at the gym today. I think next time I'll just go to the gym.




No comments: