Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How Do These Subjects Come Up Right At BEDTIME?!

As I'm putting Ryan to bed tonight, in my last ditch effort at trying to talk him into staying in bed, I tell him that he can't get out of bed if he wants to help frost and decorate the sugar cookies Ashley and I made earlier tonight when he gets home from school tomorrow.

He then asks, "What if I have to go to the bathroom?"

I say, "Okay, you can only get out of bed if you have to use the bathroom, you're sick or if there is an emergency."

I should have known. What have I unleashed now?

He asks, "What's an emergency?"

Uh, oh. I tell him that an emergency would be if the house was on fire or something really important like that. (I wasn't going to give him more examples because the minute I said "fire" I knew I wasn't getting out of there anytime soon.)

The questions started. We've talked about all this before - many times but Ryan can talk about these things until he finally passes out from exhaustion. I didn't want to make too big of a deal out of it because I didn't want him scared before bedtime.

One of his questions was about getting the window open. I figured it was probably as good of a time as any so I showed him how to open the window and take the screen off.

At Ryan's request, we will now be having a family fire drill when Bret gets home from work tomorrow. We'll be making sure that the kids can get their windows open and screens off and climb through without breaking any bones. (Thank, God we live in a ranch!) Ryan actually has it pretty easy because his window is right along our front porch. Ashley, on the other hand, will be landing in the bushes. (Sorry, I know I shouldn't be laughing right now.) Can you guess which window Bret gets? (he he he - not the one with the porch - that's for sure.) (Or maybe we'll have him squeeze through the little kitchen window.)

So if you see us climbing out of our windows tomorrow evening and then running across the street to our safe meeting place, don't be alarmed. We haven't lost all of our marbles yet.


Update: Our family fire drill has officially been postponed until freezing rain and 6-12 inches of forcasted snow passes. Why? Because you can bet yours truely would end up getting stuck in pile of snow and someone would most likely be there with the camera. Uh, no - not happening.

No comments: