Thursday, October 19, 2006

My Fondest Memories

Every child should have the chance to experience that close bond that comes with having loving grandparents. I was fortunate to have that growning up with my Grandma Shirley. In some ways she was like a second mother to my brother and I. Who else would still love you unconditionally when you call her crying because your brother got mad at you and stuck a moving milk shake blender in your hair? Or when you and your best friend decided to walk home from the mall instead of taking the bus, only to call her 2 miles later for a ride home. Throughout our childhood, which was downright scary at times having a severly alcoholic father, she was always there to help take care of us.
While I miss her terribly since I've gotten married and moved 2 1/2 hours away from my side of the family, I'll never forget the memories that came from having her in my life. As kids, we grew up shopping at Kmart. (Yes, I know, ugh, Kmart!) (We won't talk about the time my aunt was horrified during a tornado and thought she was going to die in a Kmart of all places. Ha.) Back in the day, before car seats and seat belts were the law, I would sit on my Grandma's lap in the front passenger seat on the way to Kmart with my hands on the strap on the dashboard and hers beside both of mine. (She never got away with removing those hands!) When Kmart would come into view, I would get excited and tell her, "Kmart, Grandma. Kmart!" Ah, those were the days. Happy Birthday, Grandma!

No comments: