Monday, July 24, 2006

Trust

After talking it over with my friend Teri down the street, I finally gave in and let Ryan go with Ashley to play with her kids. I've always been unsure when the time will be right for him to go over to other people's houses to play without me there to supervise. Usually when he goes to Teri's house all he wants to do is play in her husband's lego room. (Can you blame the kid? LOL) So after long consideration and Ashley assuring me that she didn't mind him tagging along and promising to keep a good eye on him, I gave in. I'll never know if I can trust him if I don't test him, right? Besides, I know Ashley and Teri will keep an eye on him so I'm sure it'll be fine. So here's how it went:

Me: Ashley, are you sure you don't mind? Because you don't have to take him if you don't want to.

Ashley: I'm sure. He'll be fine and I'll watch him.

Me: Okay, Ryan. You can go. But just for a little while. And you are NOT going over there to play with the legos. You're there to play with Ashley, Quentin and Skyler. Okay?

Ryan: Okay

Me: Okay, but just for a little while.

So I call Teri and let them know that they're on the way. She tells me she sees Ryan running up to her wanting to talk to her. (Knowing I've already told him he's not there to hide out in the lego room.)

Ryan: Teri? Can I play with the legos?

? ? ? ? ? ? ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Teri: Well, what did your mom say?

Ryan: (slowly and quietly) I think she said yes.

Teri: Are you sure?

Ryan: Yes.

Ashley: No, Ryan. Mommy said no legos.

Ryan: (realizing he's busted) Oh, okay.

So? LOL. What's the consensus? Can I trust the little bugger? We'll see how it goes when I get an updated report in from Teri.

No comments: